Senior Manager, Youth Leadership Program
Jobs at:African Wildlife Foundation
Deadline of this Job:
05 December 2020
Date Posted: Friday, November 20, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The African Wildlife Foundation, together with the people of Africa, works to ensure the wildlife and wild lands of Africa will endure forever.
The Senior Manager, Youth Leadership Program, will manage and oversee AWF's newly established Youth Leadership Program. Reporting to the Vice President- External Relations, the Senior Manager, Youth Leadership Program, will ensure that the Youth leadership program is designed and implemented most appropriately to the African context and meets AWF vision and strategy.
The senior program manager will work with youth networks to create a movement of young people for nature, who seek a development pathway in Africa that is sustainable, embracing conservation as fundamental and integral to Africa's growth. In this respect, the role will facilitate a movement for nature of young people across Africa, beginning with AWF’s priority countries.
The senior program manager- will collaborate with like-minded partners to build the current and next generation of capable, principled, and dependable African leaders who champion and drive the narrative of conservation and sustainable development in their respective spheres of influence. The senior program manager will work with young African leaders towards influencing government policies and organizations consistent with sustainable development and a conservation narrative.
The senior program manager will seek to integrate and embed a youthful approach to AWF and its program delivery. The role will help ensure young people are engaged and involved in all vitalprocesses within AWF. The role will , support AWFs communications and marketing strategies, providing opportunities for powerful stories of change and voices of exemplary young people on key media platforms. The role will work closely with the policy team in facilitating spaces for young people to influence policies in ways that ensure nature thrives for future generations.
A vital function of the role will be establishing monitoring frameworks to track progress and evaluate results of program activities. To that end, the role will work closely with AWF monitoring and evaluation specialists towards quality assurance of AWF's Youth portfolio.
The senior program manager will leverage existing relationships and create new and strategic partnerships to drive program goals. The incumbent will bring their expertise and experience to shaping of the existing youth leadership strategy and will contribute to the development of AWF leadership strategy. The role will be ultimately responsible for the development and implementation of a strong and effective youth leadership program portfolio in AWF.
Critical to this role's success will be the ability to work across various departments within the organization, valuing tangible and intangible relationships between people to create value for the whole organization. This is an exciting and dynamic role for the right individual. Leadership, patience, the ability to listen, and a sense of humor will be critical success factors. The Senior Manager will interact with individuals at all levels of the organization, in a unique and high-profile role firmly placed at the core of AWF's vision and culture. .
• Develop a 5-year youth Strategy and implementation plan aligned to AWF strategic plan.
• Develop, implement and oversee a portfolio of Youth leadership Program activities and ensure that services are delivered on time, on budget, and in compliance with donor regulations
• Ensure that the Youth Leadership program is implemented in ways responsive to communities, partners, and AWF's principles, values, and strategic plan and compliant with AWF's procedures
• Work with the staff to develop work-plans and follow up with team members regularly to ensure that activities are on track
• Monitor program progress against both programmatic and budgetary targets, making adjustments to program design as necessary
• Work with the policy units (Africa, China, Europe, US) to develop the next generation of leaders and to align and identify appropriate platforms to position the voice of African youth
• Work with the communications and marketing team to create a movement of young people for nature on the continent
• Work with the conservation strategy team to integrate a youth-led approach within program delivery and to identify appropriate future partners for implementation of the Youth Program
• Collaborate with the human resource department to ensure the Youth agenda is embedded within AWF policies and an enabling environment is in place to support young people
Partnership and Capacity
• Establish creative and innovative partnerships to deliver the youth leadership program
• Leveraging existing partner platforms for sharing, learning, and promotion of initiatives
• Support partnership modality by ensuring partner organizations are active members/participants in all operations cycle
• Conduct periodic review of annual plans to identify bottlenecks and the ways those bottlenecks could be addressed
• Support the development of capacity building plans for Youth program partners
• Provide regular coaching on technical and program management skills to field staff and other patters as needed
• Provide mentoring and role modelling for staff and partners on youth issues
Monitoring and Evaluation
• Actively monitor Youth leadership program activities, ensuring quality of AWF program
• In collaboration with the Knowledge management department, develop appropriate and additional institutional metrics and indicators as necessary to track Youth leadership Program progress
• Ensure appropriate, timely, and accurate data collection against agreed indicators to enable both internal and external reporting
• Support design and organization required for assessments, baselines, and evaluations, particularly in regards to communicating needs to the Youth Leadership Programs partners team, and participate where possible
• Make a relevant business intelligence analysis and adopt best practice and examples of well-executed projects, especially in the field of sustainability, which managed to mobilize massive youth engagement and capacity building and analyses success factors and opportunities
Fundraising. Marketing and Communications
• Collaborate with the communications and marketing teams in generating ideas for products and initiatives that tell and communicate the powerful stories of young people
• In collaboration with Policy Units, Program Design, Field Programs, Corporate Communications, develop proposals to fund the youth leadership program initiative
• Identify partnerships that can support AWF Youth Leadership Program
Job Skills: Not Specified
• Advanced degree in (or bachelor's degree and equivalent experience) in social sciences, international development, or other relevant fields;
• At least 8 + years of experience with Youth or Youth-Leadership centered programs.
• A good strong experience with leadership programs
• A strong understanding of the African context
• Strong organizing, facilitation, and networking capacities
• Strong ability for public speaking, representation and engagement
• Strong ability for networking, mobilizing and leading groups
• Ability to analyze information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically
• Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
• A team player who can work collaboratively and with people of diverse backgrounds
• Excellent writing, editing, and analytical skills. Written and spoken fluency in English required. French a plus
• Cultural sensitivity with strong interpersonal skills
• Understanding of basic financial principles, budgeting, and cost analysis;
• Strong leadership capacity including management of team resources (both financial and human), providing guidance and mentorship to junior staff and ensuring team’s delivery of goals
• Patience, listening skills, diplomacy, and a sense of humor
• Willingness to travel, sometimes to remote locations within Africa and
• Demonstrated commitment to conservation of wildlife and wild lands
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Education Experience: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join.