Senior Communications Officer
Jobs at:African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC)
Deadline of this Job:
31 January 2021
Date Posted: Friday, November 20, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
APHRC is a leading pan-African research institution headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, that conducts high quality policy-relevant research on population, health, education, urbanization and related development issues across Africa. APHRC actively engages policymakers and other key stakeholders to achieve measurable policy impacts and ensure decision making across the continent is informed by rigorous evidence-based research.
As such, APHRC seeks to recruit a Senior Communications Officer who will coordinate the initiative’s communication efforts; the appointment will be for a period of 10 months. .
Duties / Responsibilities:
• Maintain, update and actively use social media tools and sites (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.) for regular initiatives of the implementing partners.
• Coordinate input and develop content for the IAI webpage in collaboration implementing partners.
• Develop content and lead in the design of policy briefs, fact sheets and other advocacy collateral in liaison with implementing partners.
• Manage media relations, support the delivery of press opportunities – press releases, radio and televised interviews of immunization champions, implementing partners, staff and other stakeholders.
• Provide technical guidance on how to use media and communications to advance upcoming technical and programmatic activities.
• Support the implementation of the communications plan including the development of newsletters (internal, external).
• Attend regular communication, technical and other meetings assigned, and provide input based on lessons from past media and communications activities including social media.
• Participate in, and provide direction on communication for regional and international days related to immunization.
• Lead the production of any documentation that will be used for publicity, visibility and advocacy. Assist in creating short videos and vignettes, from previous work including accounts from immunization champions, implementing partners and other stakeholders to bring out key messages for advocacy.
• Follow immunization policy discussions and political priorities and share the information with the IAI network.
• Research on innovative methods to monitor policy influence and keep track of progress made by the country networks through their advocacy efforts.
• Conduct monitoring and impact evaluation of communications activities.
Job Skills: Not Specified
Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, communications, public relations or related field;
• Five (5) years of post-qualification work experience in communications and public relations in an international organization;
• Understanding of graphic design and desktop publishing, including Microsoft Publisher, and Adobe or Corel suites;
• Visual media skills including use of still and video camera; ability to develop video storyboards and basic editing;
• Proficiency in MS Office, content management systems and social media platforms;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written;
• Proficiency in French is an advantage.
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Education Experience: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply through our recruitment portal https://aphrc.org/vacancies/
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted; shortlisted candidates will be required to have a Police Clearance Certificate.
Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P. O. Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of vulnerable persons.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join.