Director, Legal Services/Corporation Secretary
Jobs at:Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital
Deadline of this Job:
29 January 2021
Date Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
JOB GRADE, MTRH 3
An officer at this level will be responsible to the Chief Executive Officer for planning, organizing, coordinating and administration of all Legal Affairs of the Hospital and also serve as the Corporation Secretary.
Director, Legal Services /Cooperation Secretary leads and directs the legal portfolio and establishes robust legal governance frameworks across the Hospital to ensure that the institution’s strategic priorities are achieved and are supported by appropriate legal, policy, regulatory and compliance advise and structures, and that risk is effectively minimized. Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital (MTRH) was started in 1916 with a bed capacity of 60 to cater for the Africans Health Needs. It later served as a District Hospital before attaining referral status vide Legal Notice No. 98 of 12th June 1998 of the State Corporations Act (Cap 446). Currently, the Hospital serves as a level six Hospital offering outpatient, inpatient, and specialized healthcare services. MTRH is located along Nandi Road in Eldoret Town, Uasin Gishu County (310 Kilometers Northwest of Nairobi).
Director, Legal Services /Corporation Secretary responsibilities include;
• Provide legal counsel and legal litigation services through the development and implementation of legal policy and governance frameworks, and the best mix of internal and external legal services to the Hospital to provide the highest quality legal advice;
• Develop and implement legal policy, regulatory and compliance, and litigation management frameworks to minimize and manage risks, ensure compliance and facilitate reporting requirements;
• Provide innovative, practical and contemporary legal leadership and expertise to resolve significant and complex legal issues on behalf of the Hospital;
• Contribute to strategic planning processes at the Hospital to ensure that plans are informed by high quality legal policy, regulatory and compliance advise to identify, minimize and manage legal risks;
• Direct the research, analysis, interpretation and delivery of high quality strategic and operational legal policy, regulatory and compliance advise and support services;
• Resolve complex and sometimes unchartered legal issues to enable the execution of policy, program and service delivery strategies;
• Anticipate and keep informed of Government direction and the implications for legislation and for Hospital activities to develop and respond to legislation and generate innovative solutions to legal matters which lack precedence;
• Managing the volume and mix of legal, compliance and regulatory demands with the requirement to develop immediate responses to changes in Government priorities • and anticipate and plan for future requirements while protecting the Hospital reputation;
• Formulating policy and giving guidance on corporate legal matters;
• Conduct investigations of alleged employee misconduct as assigned;
• Coordinate appointments, schedules and interviews for investigations;
• Conduct interviews with the affected parties for the purpose of gathering information regarding alleged incidents;
• Prepares written documentation of investigatory findings and make recommendations to CEO;
• Maintain a variety of complex and confidential files and records (e.g., investigations,case files, legal documents etc.);
• Prepare a wide variety of written materials (e.g. Hospital reports, legal documents, correspondence, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities, providing written reference and/or conveying information in accordance with the Hospital requirements;
• Ensuring compliance with regional and international instruments;
• Coordinating stakeholders consultations fora;
• Ensuring compliance with principles and values of good corporate governance;
• Providing leadership and ensure efficient and effective resources in the department;
• Reviewing and providing advise on legal risks;
• Providing legal advice on tender documents;
• Reviewing ongoing cases and advise Management accordingly;
• Providing and interpreting legal information;
STRATEGIC KEY ROLES
• Provide guidance to the Board on their duties and responsibilities on matters of corporate governance;
• Assist the Board in carrying out induction, Board Evaluation, Governance and Legal Audit of the Organization;
• Ensure timely preparation and circulation of Board and Committee papers;
• Be the custodian of the Hospital Seal;
• Ensure annual returns are promptly filed with relevant authorities.
For appointment to this grade, a candidate must have: -
• Served in senior relevant position in the Public or Private for a minimum period of ten (10) years, five (5) of which must have been as a Judge of the High Court or Advocate of the High Court or assistant Corporate Secretary.
• Master's degree in law or any other relevant and equivalent qualifications from recognized institution.
• Bachelors of Law (LLB) degree from a recognized institution.
• Postgraduate diploma in law from Kenya School of Law.
• Membership to the Law Society of Kenya (LSK) and the Institute of Certified Public Secretaries of Kenya (CPS-K) in good standing.
• Must have been admitted to the bar as an advocate of the High Court of Kenya and Commissioner of Oaths.
• Certificate in Strategic Leadership Development Programme lasting not less than six (6) weeks from a recognized institution.
• Must be ISO trained.
• Must be a trained mediator
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as legal documents, bargaining unit contracts, governmental regulations and procedure manuals.
• Working knowledge of corporate and securities law.
• Certificate in computer application skills from a recognized institution.
• Resource management skills.
• Managing performance and driving for outcomes.
• Establishing strategic directions.
• Visionary/Leading change.
• Policy development.
• Influencing persuasion and negotiation. vii. Effective communication skills.
• Policy and strategic implementation. ix. Delivery of quality results.
• Risk management.
• Decision-making and problem solving skills
In addition, all applicants MUST attach the following valid documents;
• Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) Compliance Certificate
• Higher Education Loan Board (HELB) Certificate
• Police Clearance Certificate.
• CRB — Credit Reference Bureau Certificate
• Ethics & Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) Clearance
SALARY ATTACHED TO SCALE:
MTRH 3: Ksh 193,368 x 14,284 — 208,157 x 14,788 — 222,948 x 15,292— 238,240 x 15,796 — 254,036 x 16,302 — 270,338 x 16,805 -287,143x 17,307 — 3041450x17,813 — 22,263x17,813 — 340,076x18,317 358,393x19,325 — 378,725. Max.
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Qualified and interested candidates are requested to send their applications, Curriculum Vitae, copies of Certificates and Testimonials, email and telephone contacts of three (3) referees, two of whom must be from your profession to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 29th January, 2021 not later than 5.00 PM.
Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Persons with Disability (PWDs) and other Minority groups are encouraged to apply.
Any form of canvassing shall lead to automatic disqualification and only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted for interview.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.