Jobs at:African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC)
Deadline of this Job:
30 November 2020
Date Posted: Friday, November 20, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
APHRC is a leading pan-African research institution headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, that conducts high quality policy-relevant research on population, health, education, urbanization and related development issues across Africa. APHRC actively engages policymakers and other key stakeholders to achieve measurable policy impacts and ensure decision making across the continent is informed by rigorous evidence-based research.
APHRC is implementing a member-driven initiative in education dubbed the Regional Education Learning Initiative (RELI). RELI brings together several institutions working towards improving learning outcomes in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.
RELI’s long-term goal is to empower its members to become more effective and influential organizations in improving education outcomes in the region.
To this end, APHRC seeks to recruit a Data Scientist to establish an online repository of data and evidence for RELI members.
The position will be based at APHRC, Nairobi, Kenya, and may include some travels from the home country to specified meetings in other countries in Africa. .
Duties / Responsibilities:
• Facilitating a discourse on data extraction, access and sharing protocols with RELI members, MEL mentors, and the funder;
• Data cleaning and harmonization including conducting all the required consistency checks for data from various partners and studies;
• Creating automated systems for data harmonization and consistency checks;
• Documentation of data sets from various partners according to agreed guidelines on data documentation, archiving and sharing;
• Perform basic and advanced statistical analysis of data;
• Developing an interactive data platform on the RELI website complete with data archiving protocol/architecture, programming the protocols, data cleaning etc.;
• Participate in evidence sharing sessions with select regional bodies to inform regional and global discourses on education and enhance RELI visibility;
• Write technical reports on data issues; and
• Participate in proposal development and review.
Job Skills: Not Specified
Key Competencies, Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in computer science, statistics, economics, machine learning, or other related technical disciplines;
• At least two years of experience in mining, processing, cleansing and quality assessment of data from diverse studies and organizations;
• Experience in data analysis using STATA, R, SPSS and data documentation software’s such as NESTAR;
• Experience in visualizing/presenting data for stakeholders and the use of relevant data science tools kit;
• Ability to regularly report and synthesize emerging information;
• Good communication, presentation, and teamwork skills.
The appointment will be for a one –year period renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding.
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Education Experience: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply through our recruitment portal https://aphrc.org/vacancies/
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted; shortlisted candidates will be required to have a Police Clearance Certificate.
Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P. O. Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of vulnerable persons.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join.